Successful pre-survey student preparation has proven an effective means by which schools can reduce survey completion times, and encourage students to approach the survey as an opportunity to share their experiences and provide feedback.
This lesson plan was designed to assist you in introducing the OurSCHOOL Student Survey to elementary students.
Outcome: To introduce elementary students (grade level 4-6) to the student survey
Duration: Steps 1, 3, 4, 5: 15 minutes
Step 2: Dependent on # of sections included. Ideally this lesson would be conducted with students a day or two before they take the survey.
* If you are unsure which topics are included in the survey, contact your School Coordinator.
Step 1: Introductory Information
- Pass out Worksheets and launch PowerPoint.
- Review slides 1-5
Step 2: Survey Topic Review
Review the following slides, keep in mind some sections may need to be omitted.
- Family Structure: Slide 6*
- Citizenship: Slide 7
- Bullying: Slide 8
* Corresponding worksheet available
|Collect completed worksheets. Worksheets will be redistributed to students during the survey implementation. Students can refer to their worksheet when answering the applicable questions.|
Step 3: Sample Questions
- Review slides 9-13
Step 4: Terminology
- Review slides 14-15
Step 5: Wrap-Up
- Allow opportunity for students to ask any remaining questions they may have and clarify any points students are still unsure about.